Identifying your “don’t wants” to help see your “wants”. When we take a moment to identify the “don’t wants” that we say and think habitually, we gain true insight into our heart desire and are so much closer to achieving the life we want.
Here is a good exercise for you to try is to list your don’t wants, consider the opposite of these negative desires by turning them into wants and you will discover what you truly desire.
Take a piece of paper and divide it into half. On the left column you will list ten of your don’t wants. Referring to the list on the left, you will fill in the right half of the paper with the opposite desires.
First list the “don’t wants”, such as:
- I don’t want to go out with a smoker
- I don’t want to live in this city all my life.
- I don’t want to be renting forever.
- I don’t want to receive another bill.
- I don’t want to be late.
- I don’t want to be dominated or controlled.
- I don’t want to fall sick so often.
Now that you have your “don’t wants” on the left side, you can easily fill up the right side with your wants.
- I want a relationship with someone who is health-conscious.
- I want the freedom to move with peace of mind.
- I want to be a homeowner.
- I want to have positive outstanding credit with my amenities provider.
- I want to be punctual.
- I want to be independent and appreciated for it.
- I want to be healthy.
But remember! that just because you are listing only ten “wants” today, you can have many more. You can have it all, as long as you are congruent. It is important to understand the congruency here. Congruency is wanting things that are parallel to each other and not contradictory.
You cannot simultaneously want to eat a chocolate cake everyday in front of TV and want to be slim.
Also , remember to keep this list handy!